15 October 2012

St. Clement - Post 16 - Working through the Fear

 Tonight was the "first float."  It was also making a conscious decision to trust a process that is slow, that reveals itself with patience, and that develops over time - everything that this task-oriented, results-demanding business teacher hates.

I finally decided to apply the 'lights' that characterize traditional icons.  The pure white is said to represent the final stage of creation's development: the ability to exude the pure, uncreated light of God.  In my last post, I applied the initial white lines, having been reassured that it really is O.K. if it looks a little awkward.  I had been afraid that I would ruin or mar the work, but that fear proved unfounded.

But today's application of the "first float" was scarier still.

The first 'float' is the application of a very diluted, but otherwise intense pigment that is harmonious with, but different from, the underlying color.

Were my color choices 'harmonious?" I chose Iron Oxide Red to 'float' over St. Clement's violet robe.  I chose French Yellow Ochre to float over his green pallium.

Were they diluted enough? Or would I end up completely changing the tenor of the entire picture?

And what about the places that still didn't have any white highlights: the quarry, the ocean.  Was it time to start applying some white? Or would I totally ruin what I had done?

Only one way to find out . . . 

The float was perfect.  If anything, I may have slightly over-diluted the pigments, so that the overlay was very, very transparent and gentle.  And I like it.

The white lines in the ocean turned out thicker and cruder than I had hoped, even using a narrow brush...but somehow,  it still captured the anger and motion of the sea, and I am content.  When I add a float on the ocean, it may even appear more mysterious.

I chose a different brush to make tiny, tiny white lines on the Quarry, and couldn't believe how easily - and thin - those lines came with the right brush.

I have several more highlights and floats ahead.  I have a scroll to complete.  And I have yet to address the mosaic tiles that frame the Roman saint...and the more I look at the Icon, the more I feel I need to shy away from the red and white mosaic tiles I initially envisioned, and opt instead for earthy browns and off-white tilework...imperfect, earthy, somewhat stained. Something human and unenlightened.

Patience and trust are Good Things.  As is giving up the need to work towards immediate results.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment